Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mate Bilic from Croatia (who now lives in Tooele, Utah) was our tutor on skype for two months before we entered the MTC.  He came down to the MTC to meet us and attend one of our language sessions.
One day we asked Mate how he joined the church.  He said that he started talking to the missionaries on the street.  I asked if he was curious or was he just being nice.  He said that he was curious.  I have a quote from him:
"After I had been introduced to certain things about the church, I just felt in my heart that's just how it's supposed to be.  I just felt like some old knowledge that I had forgotten and now I remembered again."
Mate's wife, Melissa, served a mission in Croatia 13 years ago.  Seven years ago she decided to visit Croatia.  She arrived one week after Mate was baptized . . .and the rest is history.
Melissa is an accomplished violinist and has played for President Hinckley and President Monson.  President Monson performed their sealing in the Salt Lake Temple.
There are several articles written about Melissa in the Church publications.  Go to lds.org and type in "Melissa Engle."  Read the New Era article about her.  It is special.
We are very grateful to Mate for his help and patience in our Croatian lessons. 

3 comments:

  1. I loved seeing all these pictures and reading the stories to go with them. I've always been fascinated by the Holocaust, I can't imagine visiting those sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elder and Sister Brown,

    These really amplify that you are MISSIONARIES!!!! I loved each and every one and the descriptions that have been provided. Thanks tons...I will certainly pass this and Nancy's email onto the kids, they are going to really enjoy keeping up with your adventures and experiences. We love you both very much! Keep up the good work and interesting communications.

    Love ya, Sherrie b.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow the email address I have for you doesn't work. Email me so I can communicate. Duane got an email from you but I need your address on my computer apparently. You're doing a nice job on your blog. Thanks.
    Love,
    Val

    ReplyDelete